Did you know? California has the highest number of rail related fatalities and ranks #1 for trespasser casualties in the United States. Safety is Capitol Corridor’s top priority and we’re committed to sharing safety tips with our riders to avoid dangerous situations around rail tracks.
Each September we partner with California Operation Lifesaver (CAOL) to promote Rail Safety Month in California and National Rail Safety Week (September 18-24, 2023), educating the public to be cautious around trains and rail tracks.
But it doesn’t end there. Our riders and the public play a big role in reducing and even preventing fatal incidents. Help us lower California’s numbers!
Whether you’re at a train station or around tracks, be alert, practice safety, and share these tips:
- Always follow directional and warning signals when crossing tracks,
- Do not cross the tracks until you know it is safe,
- Never drive around lowered crossing gates,
- Cross the tracks only at designated crossing locations,
- Stay off cellphones and remove headphones near railroad tracks,
- Never stop your car on railroad tracks,
- Never take selfies or photos on railroad tracks.
Check out more important rail safety tips and learn more about security on the Capitol Corridor.
And remember, see tracks, think trains. Respect the rails! 🚄