From 8pm on Friday, February 17 through 5am on Tuesday, February 21, 2012, Caltrans will perform extensive construction on the Bay Bridge. Bridge lanes will be closed in the westbound direction towards San Francisco. Although eastbound lanes will still be open, Capitol Corridor and San Joaquin trains will NOT have bus connections to/from San Francisco.
Passengers traveling to/from San Francisco will transfer at the Richmond Amtrak/BART Station to a San Francisco-bound BART train. In San Francisco, passengers can use public transit and limited Amtrak Thruway Motorcoach (Amtrak Bus) service to travel to their destinations, as noted below.
Westbound Travel: Getting to San Francisco (SF)
- If you have a SF Amtrak Bus ticket, obtain a BART ticket on board prior to the Richmond stop from the Café Car attendant by exchanging your Bus Ticket for a Bart Ticket.
- If you do not have a SF Amtrak Bus ticket, but are planning to travel into San Francisco, you can purchase a BART ticket on board from the Café Car attendant.
- Offboard at Richmond Amtrak/BART station
- Go downstairs into Richmond Amtrak/BART station
- Enter BART fare gates, and then head upstairs to board a BART train either bound for San Francisco Airport or San Francisco-Millbrae.BART trains to SF run approximately every 20-30 minutes.
- You may also use a Fremont-bound train and make a cross platform connection at MacArthur Station in Oakland for San Francisco bound train
- Offboard BART at Embarcadero Station. Exit station using the Market & Drumm Streets exit; at street level, look for Amtrak Buses to connect to additional SF destinations.
During this period, Amtrak Buses will only serve the Hyatt Amtrak Bus stop (on Drumm at the Hyatt Regency Hotel), Pier 39 and the Ferry Building Amtrak Station (located at 101 Embarcadero at Mission St).
Shopping District & Moscone: Off board BART at Powell Street Station (there is no Amtrak Bus at this station).
Caltrain Station: Offboard BART at Embarcadero Station. Pay separate fare for MUNI T-Third or N-Judah line (there is no Amtrak Bus at this station during this temporary service modification).
Eastbound Travel: Departing SF to connect to trains in Richmond
Please allow extra time for transfers in this direction as travel on BART to the Richmond station is 40 minutes longer than regular train/bus service to Emeryville. You will be meeting regularly scheduled Capitol Corridor and San Joaquin trains. Amtrak Buses will pick up passengers at the Ferry Building, and Pier 39 stops. Passengers will be taken to the Embarcadero BART stop.
- Amtrak/Caltrans representatives will distribute BART tickets to Amtrak passengers holding Amtrak bus tickets at the Ferry Building Amtrak Station
- Amtrak/Caltrans representatives will distribute BART tickets to Amtrak passengers holding Amtrak bus tickets at the Embarcadero BART Station (Market and Drumm Street station entrance at street level).
- Passengers may board BART at any other stop at their own expense
- Passengers should board BART trains heading for Richmond in order to connect with Capitol Corridor or San Joaquin trains at that station
When utilizing BART westbound from Richmond to San Francisco some schedules require a transfer at BART’s MacArthur Station in Oakland. For example if you depart Richmond on a Fremont-bound BART train, you must transfer at MacArthur to a San Francisco Airport bound train.
When traveling eastbound from San Francisco to Richmond, board a Richmond-bound BART train. You may also board a Pittsburg/Bay Point BART train; however you will need to transfer to a Richmond-bound BART train at the 19th Street or MacArthur stations in Oakland when traveling in this direction.