It’s easy being green when you ride the Capitol Corridor. Take a look at a few of the things that make Capitol Corridor the environmentally friendly choice – including energy efficiency, reduced emissions, and a sustainable approach to all aspects of train operation.
The Capitol Corridor is committed to achieving greater environmental sustainability for a healthier planet. Recycling bins are located in the Café Car and in most cars at the top of each stairwell. Next time you’re on board, please drop your cans, bottles, and papers in the proper bins. Thank you!
How Green is Your Train Trip? Use this Calculator to Find Out!
Where do you go?
How many days per week do you travel?
What type of car do you drive?
Average fuel consumption:
By taking the train I save:
Enjoy more personal time on-board!
- Relax with spacious seating
- Grab a drink at the Café Car
- Stay productive with free Wi-Fi
- Enjoy the scenic journey!
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory Transportation Energy Data Book, edition 33. (2014). Table 2.12 “Passenger Travel and Energy Use.”
- Federal Highway Administration, 2009 National Household Travel Survey (NHTS)
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Draft Inventory of U.S. Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Sinks: 1990-2012. (2014). Table 3.12 “CO2 Emissions from Fossil Fuel Combustion in Transportation End-Use Sector (Tg CO2 Equivalent).”
- The “monthly average CO2 footprint” is based on carbon emissions (per passenger mile) of Rail .21 kg and Car .35 kg for your selected trip. Emissions factors are based on calculations from the World Resource Institute (WRI) and Carbonfund.org. Calculations assume single-occupant car. Please note this is a comparative tool and your actual results may vary.